Since my Jammy Coconut Traybake was a massive hit, I decided to bake another family favourite this weekend. This delicious recipe from Mary Berry’s Baking Bible (which I highly recommend you buy) makes a whopping 30 slices so is perfect to bring into work or uni to share with your friends!
To make this zesty treat you will need:
- 225g softened butter
- 225g caster-sugar
- 275g self-raising flour
- 2 level teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- finely grated rind of 2 lemons
For the crunchy topping:
- 175g granulated sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees and grease a 30 x 23 cm tin, then line with baking parchment.
- Mix all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat until well blended. Turn the mixture into the tin and level the top with the back of a spatula.
- Bake for about 35 minutes then leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Turn out the cake and peel off the parchment paper to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- To make the crunchy topping, mix the granulated sugar and the lemon juice in a small bowl to give a runny consistency. Spoon the mixture evenly over the traybake while it is still a little warm.
Serve and enjoy!